Operation Make Baby Neuhaus-Sonne: Round Two (Clomid 100mg)

So, here I am, on day 20 of this cycle (round 2 of Clomid) and it is still unclear whether or not I ovulated. Here’s the story:

My last round of Clomid didn’t work. My dang follicles did not grow at all. 50mg of Clomid was a waste of time, money, and a round of insured meds [frown]. No ovulation. I had to induce my period again.

This time around, instead of taking a convenient pill once per day to kick start my next cycle, I had to take something called Endometrin (an inconvenient mess of a time). These things go “up there” and dissolve, produce a constant leaking feeling, ruin a whole bunch of clothes, and need to be done every 12 hours. No fun, people. None whatsoever.

I was able to stop the Endometrin after 10 whole days of discomfort. A day later, my withdrawal from the hormones led to Aunt Flo’s arrival.  Upon her timely visit, I had to call my doctor right away. We scheduled an appointment for cycle day 5 to do my baseline ultrasound and blood work. I’d be starting my meds on this day, as well.  Once again, everything looked pretty good, apparently. I am now used to looking for follicles on my ovaries during these procedures and I couldn’t see anything, but I trusted the technician. My left ovary was still being a pain in the ass, as it likes to hide behind my uterus…. This makes knowing what’s going on in there hard to determine. Regardless, I went home with a positive spirit.

My positive spirit crumbled on my second day of taking Clomid. I was possessed by an evil, grumpy, rage-fueled demon. There is no other way to explain it. I was completely aware I was being an awful person, an irrational mess, but I could not control it or stop it. This lasted for two days. I felt horrible for Jacob. Although, instead of brushing it off as hormones, he took it personally. I tried explaining it to him, but he didn’t get it. We’re all good, and I think he now understands, but those were a rough two days. Ugh. Hormones. Gotta love ‘em, right?

I went to the doc again on cycle day 13 to check my progress. THE LITTLE BUGGERS GREW. I was starting to think that because I had such bad symptoms, it meant everything was working!! I could see them, they were measurable, and I was thrilled. The technician took me down a few pegs by telling me the largest follicle was only 13 mm and the goal is 18-21 mm. Regardless, I was still happy my follicles grew. I was told to come back a few days later to be monitored again. I was told to carefully monitor myself before the next appointment by taking ovulation predictor kits and to pay attention to my cervical fluids.

Days went by. Nothing was coming of the ovulation tests and I was beginning to get discouraged…. And then it was Saturday.

My whole family and I were at one of my best friend’s wedding and were staying in a hotel. There were a few hours between the ceremony and the reception, so I thought it would be a good time to test. Finally (on cycle day 16) I got a positive result! I had a LH surge, which means ovulation would follow within the next 12-36 hours! The bad news? I was supposed to inject myself with a trigger shot on the day I received a positive test strip, and in the rush of leaving for the wedding I left the shot at home. I was pretty devastated for a good hour or so. Crying, blubbering, swearing at myself… Eventually Jacob talked me down from the ledge. I had 12-36 hours, so I would just test again tomorrow. If I still had the surge, I could trigger then. Plus, the trigger shot was only designed to help stimulate ovulation. If I already had a surge, I could possibly ovulate on my own. So, with a fun-filled night ahead of us, we prepared for party mode and ended up having (seriously) one of the best nights ever.

On Sunday when we got home, I tested again. It was still positive! I called my doctor to tell him about the positive test strip and he encouraged me to take the trigger shot the next day at my appointment. Since it was my first time injecting myself, I agreed to wait.

On cycle day 18 I returned to the doctor to be monitored again. We did another ultrasound to see my follicles. The technician said that my follicles were still not mature. One of several things could have happened to explain this: I either already ovulated (without the trigger) and the mature follicle had already released the egg, I had a LH surge without ovulation (women with PCOS could have multiple surges per cycle—though, I never do), or my left (pain in the ass) ovary had the dominant follicle, but it could not be seen on the ultrasound due to its placement behind the uterus. Awesome.

The nurse then took me into another room to show me how to mix the solution (Pregnyl, the trigger shot, comes in two vials of one powder and one liquid), change the needles, and give myself the shot. Easy peasy. I had lots of practice giving my dad shots after chemo.

My only instructions were to do the “baby dance,” start Endometrin inserts three days after the shot, and to take a pregnancy test 16 days after the shot.

So, now I wait……………………. Fingers (toes, and everything else) crossed.


About Nicole

I have my BA in English Education and am a lover of the arts. I’m part of a small, but fiercely devoted (and annoyingly close) family– and wouldn’t change that for the world. I'm lucky in love with the love of my life and am a step-mom to his two beautiful girls. I’m also a Paleolithic eater, a lover of all things organic, whole, and natural.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s